Important Topic: Swachh Survekshan 2018
Submitted by root on Wed, 06/27/2018 - 13:56
Important Topics for Competitive Exams
According to the results of Swachh Survekshan 2018 , announced by Ministry for Housing and Urban Affairs , Indore is India’s cleanest city for second year in a row, followed by Bhopal and Chandigarh. Jharkhand has been declared the best performing state, followed by Maharashtra.
- Best city in Innovation and Best practices: Nagpur
- Best city in Solid Waste Management: Navi Mumbai
The processing rate of solid waste management in India stands at 29 per cent. Further 36 per cent of the wards in the country are practicing source segregation. Swachh Survekshan 2018 covered all cities of India, a total of 4,203, covering a population of 40 crores. Segregation of waste at source, liquid waste management, maintenance of community/public toilets and decentralised waste processing practices have been added in the survery criteria in Swachh Survekshan 2018.
About Swachh Survekshan
- First launched in July 2017,it is a ranking exercise taken up by the Government of India to assess rural and urban areas for their levels of cleanliness and active implementation of Swachhata mission initiatives in a timely and innovative manner.
- The objective of the survey is to encourage large scale citizen participation towards making towns and cities a better place to live in.
- The survey fosters a spirit of healthy competition among towns and cities to improve their service delivery to citizens, towards creating cleaner cities and towns.
- The Ministry of Urban Development, takes up the Swachh Survekshan in urban areas and the Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation in rural areas.
- The Quality Council of India (QCI) has been commissioned the responsibility of carrying out the assessment.