Tips for Job Interview (Etiquettes & Gestures)
Submitted by root on Fri, 06/29/2018 - 13:25
How to Act in an interview
- Communication: Should be Clear, Unambiguous, Logical, and Voiced Confidently.
- Speech: Should be Clear, Audible, Eloquently, Intelligently, Courteously. Avoid drooling. Avoid repeating words. Avoid unnecessary phrases like “You See, Actually, As you know, Like etc”. Speak unhurriedly, for clarity and confidence.
- Overcome: Fear, Negative thought, Overconfidence, Anxiety.
- Facial Expression: Try to have an animated face. Smile pleasantly (Practise smiles before a mirror.) , Maintain Eye contact with the speaker / listener(s). In GD, look around, keeping eye contact with all.
- Gestures with Hands: Do not point fingers at others, Avoid posture of boredom. Try to be expressive. Keep hands below chin level. Avoid crossing arms or legs while sitting or standing.
- Common Lying gestures: Mouth cover, Nose touch, Eye rub, Scratching neck. Avoid them.
- Crossed legs – Indicates closed attitude, uncertainty, superiority, or aggression
- Open / Uncrossed legs – Indicates Open, Positive & confident
- Ankle Lock – Indicates Withdrawn Attitude
- Nod slightly while talking. – Indicates receptivity
- Slightly tilt head while listening – Indicates attentiveness.
- Always keep chin up - Never look down while talking.
- Closed (Legs crossed, arms folded, torso / legs turned away) – Shows Vulnerability, Depression, or Dislike
- Open or Receptive (Legs uncrossed, arms open,) – Shows Openness, Accessibility, willingness to interact., positive, more persuasive,
- When seated, lean forward while listening or talking.
- If standing, stand straight with arms by the sides or clasped in fig-leaf position.
- Leaning Backward – Signals dislike or negativity, Communicates dominance or Superiority.
- Leaning Forward – Shows Attentiveness, positive attitude.
- Nodding – Indicates Attention & Receptivity.
What to Avoid
- Wearing Bright or distracting dress
- Strong perfumes
- “Put On” Accent
- Biting nails, pen, or pencil, fidgeting with mobile (Keep mobile switched off – not even silent mode), hand-purse, ring etc. Twirling kerchief, sari, shawl, kameez /shirt etc –They Betray Anxiety & nervousness.
- Stretching legs or shaking them frequently.
- Looking down / at the roof while listening or speaking.
- Adjusting hair / dress, caressing face – Indicate nervousness. Anxiety.
- Excess gestures – You will seem artificial.
- Fidgeting / Uneasiness in the chair - Indicate nervousness. Anxiety.